Current:Home > MarketsKing Charles opens Balmoral Castle to the public for the first time amid cancer battle -Capitatum
King Charles opens Balmoral Castle to the public for the first time amid cancer battle
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 10:39:58
King Charles III is making a royal move that's never done before: opening the doors to Balmoral Castle.
For the first time since the Aberdeenshire, Scotland, castle was completed in 1855, guests will be granted behind-the-scenes access to the landmark. Queen Elizabeth II, the United Kingdom's longest reigning monarch, died at the private estate at the age of 96 in September 2022; the residence was where the queen and her family would spend summer holidays.
Tickets for the historic event – with tours scheduled between June 1 and Aug. 4 – sold out this week within a day of being released, according to the BBC.
According to its official website, Balmore is the Scottish castle that serves as a beloved home for the royal family, which was purchased for Queen Victoria by Prince Albert in 1852.
Historic opening of royal residences to the public comes amid royals' health battles
The monarch's unprecedented decision to open up royal residences comes amid changes within the monarchy.
The East Wing of Buckingham Palace is set to open to the public for the first time this summer, like Balmoral Castle. Guided tours of the palace's principal floor are scheduled from July through August, per the BBC.
The guided tours also come as seniors members of the royal family are battling health issues. After Catherine, the Princess of Wales, was notably out of the public eye for several months, Kensington Palace shared a video of Princess Kate in which she revealed she had been diagnosed with cancer.
"In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London and at the time it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful; however, tests after the operation found cancer had been present," Princess Kate said. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventive chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
The princess said she was "well and getting stronger every day by focusing on the things that will help me heal in my mind, body and spirits."
Looking back at the last century:A timeline of the royal family's biggest moments
Prior to this revelation, in early February, Buckingham Palace announced King Charles III's cancer diagnosis.
"During The King's recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer," Buckingham Palace said in a Feb. 5 statement.
Before his diagnosis was revealed, Charles underwent a "corrective procedure" at The London Clinic after the palace had previously announced that the monarch, 75, was seeking treatment for an enlarged prostate.
Contributing: Pamela Avila
veryGood! (9393)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Ana Barbosu Taking Social Media Break After Scoring Controversy
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Recommendation
Big Lots store closures could exceed 300 nationwide, discount chain reveals in filing
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience